welcome

I am documenting my journey to discover my life's purpose.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

personal trainer

I enjoy fitness. I enjoy helping people. I already stick to a pretty regular routine of exercise; currently rocking Tony Horton's P90x and walking my doggie Sylar for about an hour a day. I started P90x about a year ago and love it. To be honest, I have not completed a full 90 day cycle, which involves 6 workouts per week for 12 weeks. But, I have consistently been able to work out about 4 times per week and I rotate the workouts to benefit from muscle confusion, the secret behind P90x success.

So, all things considered, why not become a personal trainer?

I would have to take some classes to get certified at an accredited organization, find a job at a gym and start building a client base. I could do that. After some experience, I could then break out on my own and run my own personal training business. Eventually, I could manage a fleet of personal trainers. I would have control of my schedule and I would be having a positive impact on people's lives.

I would hope that I can fit my own personal workout into my day more easily if this is what I did for a living. Whether it be working out at the gym before/after a client since I am already there or leading an exercise class where I have to workout with them. Essentially, I would be getting paid for working out, who could ask for more?

Although, this sounds good in print, it doesn't get me very excited. It would be great job to have for several years but I probably couldn't keep this up for the long term. I would probably work odd hours - some clients would want early appointments and some would want late appointments. I would also probably have to work weekends. I'm sure it would also take some time to build up a client base and get to the point where I am making good money. None of these are deal breakers, so maybe I'll keep this one in my back pocket and pull it out if we ever move someplace for a limited amount of time.

Imagine if I did become a great personal trainer though, maybe I would one day own my own gym/fitness center and I call it The Boom Boom Room!

1 comment: