welcome

I am documenting my journey to discover my life's purpose.

Monday, May 16, 2011

the one question


This free self-reflective 14-question test claims that it helps you ask yourself the right questions so you can identify your true passion and purpose.

1. What are you naturally curious about?
I love reading mysteries and philosophy. I also enjoy reading about relationships and how different people connect with one another in a meaningful way. I enjoy watching films that explore unknown topics. I like reading advice columns and articles about nutrition, exercise and cooking. I enjoy learning about concepts and ways to enjoy life and increase happiness.


Comments: Your answer to this question gives you an indication what are the different topics where your passion may lie. You may find here clues about a suitable profession for you or a field you want to work on. Often what we naturally do we enjoy the most.

2. What would you like to change about the world?
I want to reform health care & education and contribute to building awareness of the importance of nutrition and exercise to lead a healthy & happy life.

Comments: What makes you angry the most shows you in a way what you care about the most, what is close to your heart. It is unlikely that you are emotionally strongly moved by something you are not even slightly passionate about.

3. What would you love to do or accomplish before you die?
  • Travel to every continent
  • Win a cooking contest
  • Help others achieve healthy & happy lives
  • Make a movie
  • Write a novel
  • Start a successful business
  • Achieve personal balance & happiness
  • Incorporate meditation into my daily life
Comments: The things you listed as answers not only give you an idea of your goals, but also your values - what is important to you and how you would like to live your life. See if you can spot any themes in your things to do list.

4. What would you do if you could not fail?
  • I would start my own business.
  • I would become a film producer.
  • I would write novels.
  • I would become an editor.
  • I would become a celebrity chef on TV.
  • I want to be a motivational speaker.
Comments: This question helped you to think without limitations. There is a good chance you wrote here things that you really want to do.

5. What would you do if you would not be limited by money?
I would cook, read, write, and discuss ideas of how to better the world with people I admire and respect. I would quit my job and start my own business.

Comments: Similar to the last one, the question removed barriers from your thinking and brought out your inner desires. Remember that you might be able to earn money following your passion too.

6. What would you like to hear at your funeral?
I would want people to say that I was caring, generous, honest, hard working, fun, smart, witty, interesting. I would want them to say that I was brave and courageous and led an exciting life. I would want them to say that they became better people because they knew me. I would want them to say that they loved me, respected me and admired me for living life well.

Comments: Your answer shows you what you value and how you would like to live your life, what is truly important to you.

7. What are the things you currently enjoy doing?
  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Cooking
  • Exercising
  • Walking my doggie
  • Debating
Comments: Very straightforward - your passion may lie in one of those activities.

8. What were the activities or tasks you were doing when you felt most empowered?
  • Selling
  • Making movies
  • Being in charge
  • Debating logic/philosophy
Comments: When you are passionate about some project or assignment, you feel energized, you don't get tired and you feel excited. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive and you discover yourself to be a greater person than you ever dreamed yourself to be. If you felt something like this when doing the tasks you listed, this might be it or at least you're close.

9. What would you most like to be acknowledged for so far in your life?
  • Writing a feature film at the age of 14
  • Moving to NYC at the age of 19
  • Graduating college in 3.5 years
  • Conquering my blood clot
  • Getting a great job out of college and staying with it for 5 years to realize 3 promotions
  • Finding the love of my life and paying for our own wedding
  • Getting a dog and becoming a better person for it
Comments: You only take pride in things that matter to you. The question is if these things matter you the most?

10. If you had only one wish, what would it be?
To find the right balance in my life to be content.

Comments: Now that you gave it some thought, try to think of at least 5 more people for whom you could make a wish, include strangers. After you've done this for a little while, see what trends you see. This will be at least very close to your purpose.

11. Whose life do you want to be living?
Stanley Kubrick
Julia Child
Simone de Beauvoir

Comments:
If you did pick anyone, why did you choose these people? There is something about their achievements, lifestyle or other aspects of life that you find desirable. That's a hint.

12. What ideas are you most inspired by?
Reforming health care & education
Healthy living
Achieving happiness & life balance

Comments: If there is an idea that really inspires you, that could very well be your purpose.

13. With whom would you like to surround myself?
  • Healthy
  • Happy
  • Interesting
  • Motivated
  • Well educated
  • Inspiring
Comments: You become who you drink coffee with. The kind of people you want to have around you tells you what kind of a person you want to be.

14. Do you take responsibility for what is happening to you?
Yes, I am responsible for where I am in my life right now. I can create my own future and will. I just want a little guidance....

Comments:
Only you can change your future and create the life you want to live, no one else. If you blame others and shift the responsibility away from you, you are looking for answers in a wrong place. If you said yes, congratulations. Now that you have gone through this exercise, answered all the questions and read the answers once again - do you see patterns in your answers? Identify what are the common themes in your answers and you will find your passion and purpose in life.

Click here to take this Life Purpose test for yourself.


1 comment: