welcome

I am documenting my journey to discover my life's purpose.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

blockbuster video

My recap of previous jobs continues with my second job at Blockbuster Video. Here I learned the importance of honesty, efficiency and how to quit a job you never want back.

Honesty: I told people if they were about to rent a bad movie and gave them a chance to go get a better one. More people appreciated it than resented it and it always sparked interesting conversation.

Efficiency: My most obvious demonstration of efficiency was my ability to stack 25+ video tapes at a time, holding them with one hand against my body so I could put them back on the shelf. They always had me run movies since I could do it so quickly.

Quitting: I worked at Blockbuster for a year and half and was even promoted to Shift Leader, which included a 75 cent per hour raise. I was about a month away from graduating from high school when I received a letter in the mail from a company called Vector Marketing. I thought this letter, which was definitely a form letter that went out to all graduating high school seniors, was drafted especially for me and I was immediately intrigued about the job opportunity. After going on a very interesting group interview (with about 15 other people in the room), I impulsively committed to become a sales rep for CUTCO cutlery. It required a small investment to purchase a pack of knives that you would use to actually sell. As a budding business major, I reminded myself that you have to spend money to make money and my decision was made.

As I was driving home from this interview, I called my store manager and quit by leaving a voice mail that I was never coming back and I did not show up for my shift the next day. I shouldn't say that I was proud to leave a job like that, but I was.

Stay tuned for the next post about my employment history.

1 comment:

  1. this was the blockbuster i passed today! i wish you still worked there and i could still get "free" rentals. jk. i would never wish that upon anyone!!!

    ReplyDelete