welcome

I am documenting my journey to discover my life's purpose.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

acknowledgement

One of my weaknesses is my constant need for positive acknowledgment. And, by acknowledgment I mean the recognition of my existence, validity, authority, and/or right. I need to feel appreciated and I need to feel appreciated often. I have no issues with asking for it and when I receive it, I can't wait until I get some more. I will gladly accept a gold star, a pat on the back or preferably, a public pronouncement of my greatness. Much to my chagrin, this is another one of my essentials in life.

It may seem silly, but I regularly save gracious emails from clients praising my wonderfulness because I have helped them with something and refer back to them when I am having a bad day or if I am low on acknowledgments for the week. I often ask leading questions of friends and family so their answer will fulfill my need for approval. I seek out activities where I know someone will congratulate me for a job well done.

Some say that I have a need for approval and that those who seek approval have low self esteem, are dependent on others and have issues from childhood. I am an assertive, independent woman who had two loving parents. Some will say that this is an issue I need to work on and an aspect about myself I need to change. Although, I do think that this particular trait of mine is not necessarily beneficial; I don't think that I suffer this to an extreme that others may experience.

I do work hard at most everything in life, some may call me a people pleaser, and I do have a hard time saying "no" to people. However, I speak my mind, don't avoid confrontation when necessary and have an abundance of self confidence. I just like knowing that what I do impacts others in a positive way. What's so wrong with wanting to hear that knowledge validated from others?

Whatever my purpose and whatever I do, I know that I will always require that positive reinforcement along the way, even if I have to ask for it.

3 comments:

  1. Some might call this a good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! In this spirit, I think you’ll enjoy this short film, Validation:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched the video! Such a great short! I love TJ Thyne too! I even teared up a little but mostly smiled throughout. Thanks for commenting and sharing, brother!

    ReplyDelete