welcome

I am documenting my journey to discover my life's purpose.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

in pursuit of a hobby

I haven't written for the last few days because I have been saddled with a cold. I am still not feeling great but wanted to publish a new post today.

My fiancee Jay always tells me that I need to find a hobby and apparently cooking, reading and exercising don't count! He is a man of many hobbies, including collecting comic books, playing video games, reviewing video games on his awesome blog, maintaining his portfolio Web site, just to name a few. Jay wants to become a video game designer by using his graphic design/art direction skills and his love for video games. I strive to be able to find a way to use my skills and my passion to help me along this journey.

He does have a good point, if I find a hobby I truly love perhaps that will lead me to uncover my purpose.

When I was a kid, I had many hobbies. I read, wrote poems & short stories, embroidered & crocheted, played sports (including baseball for 7 years and swimming for 3 years), made & watched movies, attempted to belong to Mensa and the list goes on. I suppose that for one reason or another, I stopped each hobby at some point and moved onto the next thing - whether that be the next hobby, a job, college or moving to New York.

As soon as I started college and working, I found I had no time for hobbies. My schedule was consumed with school, work and a social life and I didn't think or want to fit in anything else. After I graduated college, I was focused on finding a job, a nice apartment and enjoying my promising relationship with Jay.

Now, I have been at my current job for about 5 years, have been living in a great apartment with Jay for almost 2 years and am currently planning our wedding (which is not considered a hobby although it is quite time consuming) I find that I want, maybe even need, a hobby again.

So, my plan is to start trying out different hobbies and finding one that I want to stick with for a while. I will catalog the various hobbies I try out in future posts and assess the pro's and con's of each.

Let me know if you have any ideas for me!

2 comments:

  1. Cooking, reading and exercising are hobbies. Jay just has too many hobbies and wants to make you feel bad.

    On another note, I think you should take up juggling. I have always wanted to be able to do it but I'm all hands and no balls. I think you have the perfect mix of the two to be really good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already know how to juggle! I learned at the high school I went to before we met at Chatsworth. Next time I see you I will juggle for you.

    ReplyDelete