welcome

I am documenting my journey to discover my life's purpose.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

hollywood video

It is important to reflect on past events, understand how those events may have shaped your future and maximize on the lessons learned from those experiences. Therefore, I am going to recap every job I have had so far since I started working at 15 years old.

My first job was at Hollywood Video. I rented out video tapes (remember those?) and DVDs, put movies people returned back on shelves and restocked the candy display once in a while.

This was the first job I ever interviewed for and I was lucky enough to get the job offer, which I readily accepted! I had to get a work permit from school and have my mom drop me off for the first several months since I couldn't drive on my own yet. I worked 4 hour shifts and was proud to don my Hollywood Video polo shirt and khaki-like pants.

During my interview, I described my previous film directing experience and the fact that I was, at the time, making my way through watching every movie on AFI's 100 years...100 movies list as reasons why I would be a good fit for the job. In my mind, this made me extremely qualified to work in a video store and the store manager, Robert, happened to agree. In case you were wondering, no I did not watch every single movie on the list, but I did see most of them.

This experience taught me that a great first impression can be more powerful than previous work experience. I'm pretty sure I got hired because Robert and I hit it off right away and because at 15, I was already introducing myself as an accomplished film director. I think he appreciated my gregarious nature and film zeal.

Are you wondering what my second job was? It will be revealed in a future post.

Anyone out there ever work for a video store?

2 comments:

  1. Today, Sherv and I drove past the Blockbuster on Topanga and Roscoe and I said to her, "Remember when Megan used to work here?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she remember, Brian, did she remember?

    ReplyDelete