welcome

I am documenting my journey to discover my life's purpose.

Monday, June 13, 2011

p.q.l.

After working at The Restart Room, I moved from San Diego back to Los Angeles. I would live in LA for about 2 months to save as much money as I could for my then upcoming relocation to NYC.

Immediately after I moved back in with my parents, I decided to look for my next job the old fashioned way, through the Los Angeles Times classifieds. I found an ad for a job as a purchasing assistant for a lighting company called PQL, Premuim Quality Lighting. It paid a great hourly wage (if I recall correctly, it was $11.00/hour) and seemed like a great way for me to get some office experience on my resume. I thought I had a decent chance of getting the job; my main concern was that I would only be there for 2 months - would someone want to hire me and invest the time in training me knowing that I would only be there for a short time?

I donned my best interview clothes and drove to the office for my interview. The interview was going great and as it neared to its natural conclusion, I spoke up and told them of my plans for moving to NYC and that I was only looking for a job for 2 months. I wasn't sure what reaction I expected but I was surprised when he thanked me for my honesty and said despite the fact that I would leave in 2 months, he enjoyed our discussion and said he would be in touch.

Soon after, they called with an offer for the job which I readily accepted. P.Q.L. was a great company to work for, everyone was super friendly and hard working and my boss, Sandy was a great manager who was willing to give me a chance.

I remember him calling me into his office on my last day there, August 14th, 2003, where he pointed to the news on the TV in his office showing a blacked-out NYC. I remember him so clearly, saying "So, you moving to NYC tomorrow?" and pointing to the TV. I remember thinking that nothing was going to stop me, I was going to NYC, even if all the lights were out.

I will always remember this job even though I was only there 8 weeks. Mostly because it was a company made of up good, honest people willing to give someone like me a chance. I hope that one day I can return this favor to an ambitious young person who just needs someone to give them a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment